Teunis Tomasz (Tomassen) de Metselaer Van Naerden (Quick) by Jason J. Quick
The first record we have of Teunis Thomasz is his marriage to Belijte Jacobsz on March 9th, 1625 in Naarden, Netherlands. Teunis’s name translated into English is Anthony and his father’s name was Thomas. The Dutch used a patrimonial naming system similar to Scandinavian countries. Teunis and Belijte had “Weijntgen” (Weyntje) their first child, baptized in Naarden July 23rd, 1628. Jacobus, the second child was baptized in Amsterdam on June 4th, 1634 and Teunis was recorded as "Antonij Thomasz." Judits Willemz was a witness. Teunis and Belitje presumably came to New Amsterdam between 1634 - 1638 from Amsterdam his last recorded address. On October 9th, 1640 we have our first record of Teunis in Niew Amsterdam, Dutch Colony, North America.[see below]
Teunis Thomasz marriage
Banns (License) to Belijte Jacobsz March 9th 1625 in Naarden, Netherlands,
Power of attorney from Teunis Tomassen to Gerrit Jansen to purchase goods in the fatherland and to dispose of his property. Before me, Cornells van Tienhoven, secretary In New Netherland for the General West India Company, appeared Teunes Tomassen from Naerden, mason here in the service of the honorable Company, who In the presence of the subscribing witnesses appoints and empowers, as he does hereby, Gerrit Jansen, burgher within the city of Naerden, to purchase for him, the principal, In the fatherland such goods as are specified In the letter relating thereto, on condition that the wages which the aforesaid Teunes Tomassen has already earned, or may still earn, from the honorable Company shall be Gerrit Jansen's guaranty and security for the moneys which he may advance for the goods which the principal orders Also, the aforesaid Gerrit Jansen shall have power to sell and apply to the best advantage of the principal all such property as has been left behind by him in the father- land and, either by legal proceedings or otherwise and whether acting as plaintiff or defendant, finally to dispose of all other matters which may in any way concern him, the principal, who shall hold as valid whatever shall be done herein by the aforesaid Gerrit Jansen. Done this 9th of October A° 1640, in Fort Amsterdam in New Netherland.
This is the X mark of Tunes Tomassen
Gillls de Voocht witnesses
Gilles Pietersen 
Teunis uses the surname “Quick” (Teunis Tomassen Quick) the first time in a case at the Court of Burgomasters and Schepens as a defendant against Pieter Caspersen 30th November 1654. All of Teunis‘s children assumed the Quick surname during this time. Teunis did not formally use “Quick” but used Tomassen, Van Naerden (Naarden) or Metselaer (bricklayer) up until this court case.
Pieter Caspersen, pltf. v /s Teunis Tomassen Quick, deft. Deft. In default.
Teunis’s ancestry before his arrival to the new world is uncertain. We know his father’s name was Thomas and that he lived in both Naarden and Amsterdam. From 1548 - 1651 a Gerrit Claesz Quick (Quijck) is listed owning land in Naarden. In Arthur C. Quick’s book, he lists documentation of a family surnamed Quick living in Naarden before 1600 starting with a Gerrit Willemz Quick a schepen of Naarden and his son Gerrit Williamz Quick. Independently I have verified the birth and marriage records to prove Arthur C. Quick’s investigations are correct and a Gerrit Willemsz Quick is listed in the Naarden tax rolls in 1701.
Teunis’s son Jacobus was born in Amsterdam in 1634 and a “Judite Willemz” was listed as a witness. If Judite was a relation it is not known. What is very interesting is that there is a record of “Judith Willems” with a marriage banns to “Dirck Thomasen” on October 10th, 1622 in Amsterdam. “Dirck Thomasz” and “Judit Willems” baptized their daughter “Marijtjen” on March 8th, 1626. There is also a record of a “Dirck Thomasen Metselaer” and “Thomas van Ouderkerck” recorded in the Amsterdam Notarial archives on July 7th, 1617. Ouderkerck was named for Ouderkerk aan de Amstel just south of Amsterdam and 10 miles west of Naarden.
Teunis’ wife Belitje Jacobz van Vleckensteijn was from Naarden and had a sister Geertjen Jacobus “Vleckesteijn” who married “Willem Willems” from Scotland “komt uijt Schotlant." They had five recorded children, all baptized in Naarden: Daniel, Jennetgen, Belijtgen, Lijsbeth, and Outge from 1617-1626. Willem died by 1637 and Geertje married as her second husband Gerrit Jansz van Drielenburg (Drielenborch) from Utrecht “Geertje Jacobus, wonende te Naarden, weduwe van Willem Willemsz”. Gerrit Jansz descended from a wealthy family that was granted arms. The surname Vleckensteijn is extremely rare and is likely named for the area around Château de Fleckenstein, a ruined castle in the commune of Lembach, in the Alcasce Bas-Rhin département of France.
It has been assumed that Teunis was a mason but the Dutch word metselaer or the modern metselaar is actually a person who works with fired brick. A stonemason would be called a steenhouwer and it is a different skilled trade working with cut rock. When Teunis arrived in Amsterdam he probably was employed to work on Fort Amsterdam’s outer walls facing the sea under the employ of the Dutch West India Company. Early New Amsterdam needed skilled brickworkers and from court records, Teunis was later hired to build and repair fireplaces for its residents.
Teunis purchased land and built a house just east of the fort across the Marketveld (now Whitehall St) before 1643 and at one time owned a good portion of the NE corner of block D of the Castello Plan. On July 4th, 1645 Teunis received a ground brief to build a new house on the center of Block 13 next to the lots of Issac de Foreest and Flip Geraerdy. Teunis was illiterate but his wife Belitje “Beletje Metzelaar” could read and write and sometimes stood for him in court. 1658 she sued Fredrick de Drayer (Bloem) for a contract dispute on a sale of land and had carpenter Abraham Jansen arrested for failing to finish her house. Belitje also went back to the Netherlands about 1661 to finish up family business and accounts and requested Teunis send money. The illiterate Tenuis had to go to the Burgomasters Court to have his wife’s letter read back to him.
The Iconography of Manhattan Island, 1498 1909 - Map of Dutch Land Grants. Teunis' land (1) is the corner of Het Marckvelt Steegie and Het Markvelt (Whitehall)
Location in the late 1800s is the middle part of the Produce Exchange Building now the MTA building at 2 Broadway
Teunis in his later years seemed to get into trouble because of drinking. In 1663 he was ordered to pay tavern owner Seletje Arens the wife of Andries Jochemsen 60 guilders for a drink. The tavern location is now at 125 Pearl St.  “house one Lambert Barensen and that Teunis Tomassen Quick lay asleep by the fire drunk; also that Maatseuw's mate was met coming quite drunk from defts. house; concluding further for a fine of fifty guilders because she, deft., does not have her chimney fixed, whereby great fire and danger may occur; all this with costs. Deft. denies having tapped for anyone else, than Lambert Barensen and his wife and only three pints and that such occurred after the second preaching; saying further, that Teunis Tomassen Quick came to her house when drunk and lay down there to sleep; and as regards the chimney she says, she has much lime and stone ready as she could get” Teunis passed away between April 17th, 1670 and 1674. Belitje died sometime after December 13th, 1681.
minutes of the Court of Burgomasters and Schepens of New Amsterdam - July 12,
1663 - May 1664, slide 74 pg. 274
On April 20th, 1667 Teunis transferred ownership of his house to his son-in-law Jacob Teunisz de Kay who was married to his daughter Hilldegond. Jacob Teunissen de Kay was an up and coming baker and bolter of flour. Milling, baking, and the transportation of flour would be an important part of future generations of Quicks.
A snippet of an engraving of Teunis' house in 1797 from an engraving of the "Government House"
Teunis' house was destroyed by a fire July 18th, 1845 that started from an explosion of whale oil at a warehouse on 37 Broad St. From the Illustrated London news Aug. 23, 1845 “The
Bowling-Green and Marketfield-Street”
Theunis’ house would be on the left side of the drawing to the left of
Transportation and trade played an important role in the Quick family’s financial affairs. Jacobus Teunissen Quick, Teunis’s eldest son worked on sloops hauling bread, grain, and beaver skins up and down the Hudson from New Amsterdam to Fort Orange at Beverwyck (Now Albany) as early as 1654. In 1655 Jacobus moved to Beverwyck and married Neeltje Cornelius and became a rogue fur trapper. In 1657 he became a night-watchman and was nicknamed “de looper” and in 1660 was sent south to Esopus (now Kingston) to help settle an Indian dispute involving a kidnapping.
The British came and seized control of New Amsterdam in August of 1664 and Jacobus moved back to what was now New York and purchased a house on Broad Street. He raised sheep and worked with his brother in law Carsten Luerson in the tanning trade. In 1678 the bolting act was passed which gave Jacob’s brother in law,
Jacob Teunissen de Kay a partial monopoly on baking and bolting flour in
the new colony. "Bolting" flour was the arduous multi-stage process of separating wheat into flour and bran. It is highly likely Jacobus was employed to transport flour for his brother-in-kaw uo and down the Hudson. In 1678 Jacobus Teunissen Quick purchased a sloop and moved back to Albany and started hauling stone up and down the Hudson. In 1681 he sold his sloop to his son Cornelius and started a tanning business in Albany. Jacobus died by 1684 and the family returned to New York by 1688.]
House built by a grandson of Jacobus Quick in 1698 on 41 Broad St.
now occupied by The Lee, Higginson
& Company Bank Building. The building was obliterated in the
explosion and fire of 1845. The explosion happened next door at 37
Cornelius Jacobus’s eldest son ran a sloop from 1681, a sloop could carry 70-100 tons of goods from New York to Albany and back in four days. Cornelius and his cousin Carsten Luersen Jr. were contracted to deliver stones for a month for the building of Trinity Church. This is where they got acquainted with the infamous Captain William Kidd. In 1699 Cornelius and Carsten transported two chests of Captain Kidd’s treasure and had to testify in court. Theunis, Jacobus’s second son became a wealthy cartman, baker, tax collector, and “overseer of the public drain” and his descendants owned land in Manhattan up to the 1850s. Theunis is the progenitor of the Quicks of Hunterdon and Somerset County, New Jersey as well as Essex, Ontario, Canada and the Line of Spencer Records quick of Virginia and Indiana.
Weyntje Teunissen, Teunis’s first-born child married Hercks Siboutszen Krankheyt formerly a ship carpenter, from Langendyck, Holland. Hercks received a patent of land and settled in Newtown about 1649. The land was described as 21 morgens, about 42 acres, of land in the northwest corner of Long Island, in an area that came to be called Newtown and is now part of the Borough of Queens. Herck and his neighbor Abraham de Riker became good friends while living in
New Amsterdam, because the two men bought adjoining farms in Newton,
near the Armen Bouwerie, or poor farm. In 1656 The Riker family had a
house built-in East Elmhurst. It is believed that their neighbor, Herck
Syboutssen, built and it is the oldest home in America that has been continuously lived in. It is now called the Lent-Riker-Smith Homestead and is an
The marriage record says Marritje in error
Walter Cronkite's boat a 48-foot yacht was named Wyntje after the first woman to marry a Cronkite in the New World.
Riker Homestead 78-03 19th Rd, East Elmhurst, NY 11370
Hilldegonde Teunissen married Jacob Teunis de Kay. In 1664 Jacob Teunis de Kay owned over 50% of the available threshed wheat in New Amsterdam. In 1678 his fortune was assured by a stroke of good luck: Governor Andros passed the Bolting Act this, in essence, gave de Kay and a few other bakers the monopoly of the baking and bolting of flour in the whole province. Teunis de Kay the eldest took over the baking business and was an owner of one if seven freshwater wells in New York City. A few of Jacob and Hilldegonde’s children inter-married into British high society.
Jacob the second eldest son married Sarah Wilett in 1694 with a special license which was extremely rare at the time. Jannettie married British merchant Jerimiah Tothill, Agnetie married William Janoway her second husband a purser of the HMS Richmond and later a brewer, and Mary married Sampson Broughton a lawyer and son of the Attorney General of New York. Agnetie de Kay’s first husband was Henry de Meyer son of Mayor and baker Nicolas de Meyer. Nicholas was a grist-windmill owner from 1677 to 1692 and the same mill was later sold to William Janoway in 1698. Janoway mortgaged the mill to Teunis and Jacobus De Kay in 1699 where the mill eventually reverted back to Agnetie de Kay’s son Henry de Meyer. The Mill stood between Pearl and Duane streets sitting on Park Row and now the site of the Metropolitan Correctional Center.
All three brothers in law and the De Kay family signed a letter on May 19th, 1690 to the King of England complaining about taxes and unfair treatment by the new British regime in New York. The next month they participated in Leisler’s rebellion and were later charged with sedition. In 1701 Jacob de Key bought nearly the area of Morningside Heights plateau from the city. In 1735 Thomas Key (an heir apparently) sold the plateau in two chunks; the Hudson (western) side to Adrian Hoaglandt, and the eastern side overlooking the Harlem Plains to Harmon Vandewater. In the 1700s the plateau was known as Vandewater Heights. Parts of this tract remained in the family until 1800 and now extends from 110th - 125th street along Broadway.
Vandewater Heights - The edge starts at 110th St. bordering Central Park
Thomas Teunissen Quick the second son of Teunis Thomassen Quick likely took advantage of his brother and nephews’ sloop and moved freely up and down the Hudson. He left New Amsterdam by November 1665 and moved to Wildwyck (now Kingston, New York) He was listed in various court cases up to 1675 in Wildwyck involving wages and seemed to get into constant trouble with his employers. Thomas was also surnamed “Quinel, Quinal, Quinol, Quynel, Quynell” in various documents. 
In 1676 Thomas became the first settler in Ulster Co purchasing 60 acres at “ye Mombaccus at ye round doubt river” and land was granted and allowed subject to the Governor's approval to “Thoomas Quick and Francis Coin the land situate on the Ronduyt Kill on the Great Falls High Falls half ways between here and Mombackus which is to be laid out and examined August 23rd 1682.” Harmon Heken a Christianized Native American sold his farm in Mombaccus to Thomas on July 20th 1684. “Harmon Hekan an Indian, sold to Thoomas Quick his land at Mombaccus for 800 schepels of wheat. With the land “Harmon Hekan shall furnish a house of four fathoms surrounded by flat palisades.” “The delivery of the land shall take place in stubble time, or when the maize shall be off the land.” This land is now located in the town of Accord, 4991 US Highway 409, Ulster Co. New York on the Rondout Creek. There is currently a Historical Marker on Hwy 209 in accord that says, “TOM QUICK FARM HOME OF TOM QUICK, BOUGHT FROM, HARMON HEKUN, INDIAN 1676: QUICK WAS KILLED BY INDIANS AND HIS SON BLEW MANY RED MEN IN REVENGE” Unfortunately the state of New Jersey has Tom Quick mixed up. The Tom Quick who died by Indians and had a son revenge his death was his nephew and was a son of Dirck Quick.
Harmon Hekan deed Ulster Co. New York Deeds Vol. CC pg. 145
Thomas was recorded as a Captain of Foot in Marbletown, Ulster Co. New York December 24th, 1689. Thomas married Rymerig (Rymerick) Westvaal (Westfall) the daughter of Juriaen Westvaal of Wildwyck. Rymerig Quick, her son Tunis and her Westfall brothers purchased a couple thousand acres of land in the Minisink area on an island where the “Mahackokmack” Neversink River meets the Delaware just north of the Clove Brook (then Mill Brook) between 1702-1718. The area is now Located near Port Jervis, Orange Co. New York. Thomas died after January 9th and before June 8th 1696. Thomas’s sons Jurian and Teunis were living and homesteading at Mahackemeck “Waggackemeck” by 1702. This area was a hotbed of border strife from 1702 to before the revolutionary war between New Jersey and New York. The Westfall and Quick Family claimed New Jersey as their home and their neighbors the Swartwouts and the Westbrooks New York. It was a proverbial “Hatfields vs the Mccoy’s and was quelled by Colonel Thomas de Key a grandson of Hilldegonde Quick who later settled Orange County.[x]
In a boundary dispute deposition from Jacobus Quick a son of Thomas Quick and grandson of Dirck Tuenissen Quick. “The deponent, 53 years old, resident in Pennsylvania, knows certain inhabitants of Montague and Sandy Town, and that these towns, except for a certain settlement at Mackhackamack, belong to New Jersey. The deponent also knows Minisink Island, but does not know any trees on it or along the Delaware which were marked as the boundary between New York and New Jersey. The deponent says that Mashippenkunk belongs to New Jersey. He believes that the land on the Fishkill is under the government of New Jersey, and that the inhabitants of Sendiaweghwangh near the Delaware pay taxes to New Jersey. Signed, Jacobus Quick, his mark. In Jay's hand” … "The deponent [Jacobus Quick] saith that he knows the settlers at Mackhackamack, and has known them these forty years - that old Johannes Westfall, Nicholas Westfall, old Teunis Quick, old Cornelius Dedoucher [var. de Duyster], John Middagh, Antje Quick, old John Decker, Jacob Decker, Cornelius Bogart, Hendrick Kortright, Willem Provoost & Albertus Provoost, Cornelius Kuykendall, Stephanus Teetsworth, Solomon Davis & Jacob Kuykendall were settlers there when he first became acquainted with that Place..." Most of the northern Sussex Co. New Jersey Quicks come from this line.
Gerrtje Teunissen married Christian Luyersen (Carsten Luurzen) from “Ley in’t Stift van Bremen” a tanner and shoemaker (cordwainer). Carston owned land in outside the wall in 1691 at what was called the “Shoemakers Pasture” with a group of five shoemakers a 16-acre tract “bounded west by Broadway, on the north it extended beyond present day Fulton St, on the south it was bounded by Maiden Lane, and on the east it extended beyond present day William St”. When Carsten died in 1710 he left “all estate houses and lands” to Gerrtje. Carsten was affiliated with Jacobus Teunissen Quick and his son Thomas in the tanning industry. His son Carsten Jr. was a mariner and was affiliated with Captain Kid, Hendrick van der Heul and his cousin Cornelius Quick.
Dirck (Doerk or Derrick) Teunissen Quick was the youngest son of Teunis. Dirck Teunissen “Van Naarden” traveled with his mother back to Holland about 1661 and returned September 27th, 1663 aboard the Stattjin. Dirck married Hannah “Johanna” Jans Hodge about 1672. A “Derrick Tuenissen” had land next to Adrian Post in Bergen now Paulus Hook, New Jersey directly across from Manhattan  and the same “Dirck Teunis” owned a boat that traveled back and forth from the city of New York to Bergen in 1680.
south of Perth Amboy now New Jersey a ”Derrick Toneson” owned land. In 1712 Dirck’s only daughter Elizabeth Marritje Quick married as her second husband Thomas Frost a Scotsman Carpenter from Perth Amboy “Thomas Frast, j.M. Van Amboy, met Elisabeth Kwick, Wed V. Hendrick Huus V.N. York.” Thomas came to the new world in 1684 as an indentured servant for four years with his father William and brother Robert. On May 27th, 1712, the record reads: "The Grand Jury came into court again and brought three indictments: (viz) one against Elizabeth Huey for adultery; one against Thomas Frost for fornication; … When the Attorney General took no action against those indicted for half a year… At that term, Thomas Frost and Elizabeth Huey had married and upon a trial of the indictments against both of them, the jury brought in a verdict of not guilty.” Thomas Frost died in 1731 and Elizabeth administered his estate.
In January 1698 Dirck Quick was recorded living in Westchester Towne in a document swearing fidelity to King George. Westchester Towne was described on a map that it lay easterly of the Bronx River and was known for the milling of grain. Three mills were in the township, one at the West Farms on the Bronx, another near the mouth of Black Dog Brook, and a tide mill and causeway at the crossing of Westchester Creek\connecting Throgg's Neck which is almost an island with the mainland.
Record Jan 1928 & Liber C pg. 6 Westchester County Deeds, Deed records v.
C-D 1798-1718 Book C film 7150879 slide 9
Dirck died about 1702 and had three sons; Theunis, Thomas, and Jacobus who were all still underage and cared for by family. In 1702 there was a yellow fever epidemic that killed about 10% of the population. Dirck’s wife Johanna might have lived past March 28th, 1703 and assumed the surname “Klettera” Dirk’s son Thomas was indentured as a Shipwright by family members Henry Hues and Hillegond de Key, Theunis was indentured as Cordwainer (tanner or shoemaker) by family members Jacob de Key, Margaret Drayer, and Sampson Broughton.
Jacobus who was just an infant has no early records, but his marriage record shows he was born in New York and family history recorded in the 1800s says he moved to Ulster Co. New York with his brother Thomas to Mombacus, now Accord, Ulster Co. New York. Both brothers owned and operated grist mills and possibly were trained by their Quick uncles or de Kay Family in New York City. Thomas Quick moved to Vandemark Creek in Milford Pennsylvania and was the father of Tom Quick Indian Killer and ancestor of many Quick’s in Northampton Co. Pennsylvania. Most of Jacobus’s descendants settled in Rochester Township, Ulster Co. New York. Jacobus’s second eldest son Petrus moved to Oxford Township, Sussex Co, New Jersey and is the patriarch of the Warren Co, New Jersey Quick’s. To learn more about Jacobus click here.
Site of Quick's Mill on the 1759 Nicholas Scull Map
Milford Township, Northampton Co. Pennsylvania Warrantee Map
Teunis and Belitje had:
1. Weyntje Teunissen, baptized,
July 23rd 1628 in Naarden, North Holland, Netherland, married Herck
Siboutssen Krankheyt, formerly a ship carpenter, from Langendyck,
November 16th 1642 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland.
Teunissen Quick, baptized, June 4th 1634 Amsterdam, North Holland,
Netherland, married Neeltje Cornelis, March 24th 1655 in New
Amsterdam, New Netherland.
3. Hillegond Teunissen, baptized
November 25th 1640 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland, married Jacob
Teunissen de Key March 29th 1658 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland.
Maritje Teunissen, baptized March 23rd 1642 in New Amsterdam, New
Netherland, married Sebastien Claes Van Sevenhuyssen, September 20th
1659 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland,
5. Thomas Teunissen
Quick, baptized, April 24th 1644 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland,
married Rymerick Jurriaens Westphale April 20th 1679 in Kingston, Ulster
Co. New York.
6. Geertje Teunissen, baptized, November 12th
1645 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland, married Caersten Luyrissen,
December 1st 1668 in New York Colony.
7. Dirck Teunissen,
baptized, 26 Jul 1648 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland, married
Hanna Jans Hodje about 1672 in New York Colony.
 I.N. Phelps Stokes, The Iconography of Manhattan Vol. II, (Ribert H. Dodd, 1909) pgs. 246-247, 374-375, 379-380
 Berthold Fernow, Burgomasters and Schepens, 1656 to Aug. 27, 1658 (Knickerbocker Press, 1897) pgs. 327, 395-396, 402
 1655-1663 Minutes of the Executive Boards of the Burgomasters of New Amsterdam and the Records of Walewyn Van Derveen, Notary Public 1662-1664 1907, pgs. 131, 132
 William Bayles, Old Taverns of New York (Litres, 2018)
 Berthold Fernow, Court of Burgomasters and Schepens, Jan. 3rd 1662 to Dec. 18th 1663 (Knickerbocker Press, 1897) pg. 343
 Thomas Grier Evans, Baptisms from 1639-1730 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York Vol II (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1901) pg. 98, great-grandson Herck daughter of Sibout Herksen and Marritje Abrahams. This is the last record of Teunis Tomasz Quick.
 List of Owners of New Amsterdam about 1674 before final cession to the English. On the present west side of Broad Street, between Wall and Beaver streets, then known as a part of The Sheep Pasture and Princes Graft. Jacob Tunis Quick: 4th Class, Dutch, $1,000 - Beetje Tunis: Third, Dutch, $8,000 David T. Valentine, History of The City Of New York (Putnam, NY 1853) 1853 pg. 328
 December 13th Thomas Grier Evans, Baptisms from 1639-1730 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York Vol II (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1901) pg. 150
 FHL Film 8201185, slide 182
 Stuart M. Quick, Behind the Reserve The Quick Family of Colchester Essex County, Ontario, Canada 1601 – 1820 Oct. 2016) Part 1 Chapter 3 & 4
 Joy Santlofer, Food City: Four Centuries of Food-Making in New York (W.W. Norton 2016) pgs. 13,14
 Minutes of the Common Council of the City of New York, 1675-1776, Volume 1 (Dodd & Mead 1905) pg. 185
 Documents of the Assembly of the State of New York, Volume 18 (1917) pg. 489
 Joyce D. Goodfriend, Before the Melting Pot: Society and Culture in Colonial New York City, 1664-1730, (Princeton University Press, 1994) pg. 98
 Collections of the New York Historical Society for the Year 1892, Abstracts Of Wills On File In The Surrogates Office, City Of New York. Vol. 1 1665-1707(1893) pg. 203 (Nicholas De Meyer), pg. 208 (Henry De Meyer) pgs. 414-415 (Jeremiah Tothill)
 Documents of the Senate of the State of New York, Volume 15 (1902) pgs. 997-998
 The Documentary History of the State of New-York, Volume 2 (1850) pg. 148
 Stephen Jenkins, The Greatest Street in the World: The Story of Broadway, Old and New, from the Bowling Green to Albany (G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1911) pg. 35
 Documents of the Assembly of the State of New York, Volume 24 (1916) pgs. 546-547
 Peter R. Christoph, New York Historical Manuscripts Dutch, Kingston Papers, Vols. I & II (The Holland Society of New York, 1976) pgs. 236, 258, 292, 345, 372,380, 391-393,398, 401, 408, 423, 489, 512, 521, 536, 701, 704, 725, 742, 744, 748.
 Charles T. Gehring , The Andros Papers 1674-1680,(The Holland Society of New York, 1991) pgs. 227, 294 ,406
 Peter R. Christoph, New York Historical Manuscripts: English, Volume XXII Administrative Papers of Governors Richard Nicolls and Francis Lovelace 1664,1673 1680 (The Holland Society of New York, 1980) pgs. 140-142
 Calendar of N.Y. Colonial Manuscripts, Indorsed Land Papers: In the Office of the Secretary of State of New York. 1643-1803 (1864) pg. 12
 Olde Ulster; an Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Volume 3, Issue 5 (B.M. Brink 1907) pgs. 139,149
 Peter R. Christoph, The Leisler Papers, 1689-1691: Files of the Provincial Secretary of New York Relating to the Administration of Lieutenant-Governor Jacob Leisler (2002) pg. 347
 Berthold Fernow, Calendar of Council Minutes 1668-1783, Issue 6 (1902) pgs. 134,173,273, 282,286-287
 Goldsmith Denniston, Survey of Orange County (1862) pg. 145 [x] E.B. O’Callaghan, Calendar of Historical Manuscripts In the Office of the Secretary of State of New York, Part II English manuscripts, 1664-1776 (1866) pgs. 241, 575 607, 612-613, 618-619, 622, 624, 633, 642, 647, 650, 694
 Fordham Morris, Borough Town of Westchester: An Address Delivered by Fordham Morris, on the 28th Day of Oct., 1896, Before the Westchester County Historical Society in the Court House, at White Plains, N.Y. (1896) pg. 13
 George C. Kohn, Encyclopedia of Plague and Pestilence: From Ancient Times to the Present (2007) pg. 277
 Thomas Grier Evans, Baptisms from 1639-1730 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York Vol II (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1901) pg. 290 Henderi Hues, Elisabeth Quick daughter Angenitie. Witnesses Carste Leurse, Johanna Klettera
 The Burghers of New Amsterdam and the Freemen of New York. 1675-1866, NY Historical Society Volume 18 (1885) pgs. 602-603, 615 (apprentice records)
 Roswell Randall Hoes, Baptismal & Marriage Registers of the Old Dutch Church of Kingston, Ulster Co. NY, (New York, 1891) pg. 534 and others 1718 2 June JACOBUS KWIK, j. m., bom in N. Jork [New York], and FRANCISCA CONSALUSDUK, j. d., born in mormel and both resid. in Raysester Banns registered, 11 May
 Commemorative Biographical Record of Ulster County, New York: Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, And of Many of the Early Settled Families. Chicago: J.H. Beers, 1896. pg. 541
Minutes of the Board of Property and other References to Lands in Pennsylvania. Ed. by William Henry Egle,
 Harrisburg, C.M. Busch, State Printed, 1894, Minute Book K, page 55 Tom Quick Mill
 Records of the Road Commissioners of Ulster County Vol 1 1722-1769 (Albany NY, 1940) pgs. 5-6, 8
 Robert L. Billard, Marriage Records (Banns Registration) of New Amsterdam & New York 1639-1801, (Private no date) pg. 3, Nov 16th 1642, Marriage: Henricus Sibelszen, jm van Langendyck; Weyntje Theunis (originally Marritje in error), jd van Naerden laesten
 Robert L. Billard, Marriage Records (Banns Registration) of New Amsterdam & New York 1639-1801, (Private no date, pg. 6 Mar 24th 1655, Marriage: Jacob Theuniszen van Naerden; Neeltje Cornelis, van Amsterdam. Thomas  Grier Evans, Baptisms from 1639-1730 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York Vol II (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1901), pg. 11, Nov 25th 1640, Ouders: Theunis Thomas, Belitje Jacobs Kinders: Hillegond. Getuygen: Hendricks Janszen Staldt, Olof Stephenz Van Courlt, Pieteitie Jans
 Robert L. Billard, Marriage Records (Banns Registration) of New Amsterdam & New York 1639-1801, (Private no date) pg. 8, March 29th 1658, Marriage: Jacob Toeniszen van Tuyl in Gelderlt; Hilletje Teunis, van N. Amsterdam
 Thomas Grier Evans, Baptisms from 1639-1730 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York Vol II (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1901), pg. 13, Mar 23rd 1642, Ouders: Theunis Thomasz Metselaer. Kinders: Maritje. Gutuygen: Sibrant Claeszen, Marritje Philips
 Robert L. Billard, Marriage Records (Banns Registration) of New Amsterdam & New York 1639-1801, (Private no date) pg. 10, Sept 20th 1659, Sebastiaen Claes van Sevenhuysen; Marritie Theunis, van Amsterd. in N. Nederlt
 Thomas Grier Evans, Baptisms from 1639-1730 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York Vol II (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1901), pg. 17, April 25th 1644, Ouders: Theunis Thomasz Metselaer, Belitje Jacobs. Kinders: Thomas. Getuygen: Albert Janszen, Sibrant Claeszen, Claes Beydegar, Sara Pieters
 Roswell Randall Hoes, Baptismal & Marriage Registers of the Old Dutch Church of Kingston, Ulster Co. NY, (New York, 1891), pg. 12, April 20th 1679, Parents: Thomas Theinisse Quick, Reimerick Jurrians. Child: Jurrian. Witnesses: Jan Joosten, Maeken Hendrixs, Theinis de Key
 Thomas Grier Evans, Baptisms from 1639-1730 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York Vol II (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1901), pg. 20, Nov 12th 1645, Ouders: Theunis Thomas Metselar. Kinders: Geertje. Getuygen: Annetje Gerrits, h. v. Hendr. Janszen Smit
 Robert L. Billard, Marriage Records (Banns Registration) of New Amsterdam & New York 1639-1801, (Private no date) pg. 15, Dec 1st 1668, Marriage: Carsten Luyrissen, wid van de Nos; Geertje Teunis, jd van N. Jorck
 Thomas Grier Evans, Baptisms from 1639-1730 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York Vol II (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1901), pg. 24, July 26th 1648, Ouders: Teunis de Metselaer. Kiners Dirck. Getuygen: Hendrick Janszen Van Naerden
 Thomas Grier Evans, Baptisms from 1639-1730 in the Reformed Dutch Church, New York Vol II (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1901), pg. 110, May 7th 1673, Ouders: Dirck Theuniszen Quick, Hanna Jans. Kinders: Theunis. Getuygen: Belitie Jacobs Van Vleckensteyn